Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Sounds of Silence & A Happy New Year!


I love being a parent, but sometimes the constant, unending noise makes me nuts. Screaming, yelling, giggling kids who all operate at volume 11. TV and radio blaring all hours (the baby sleeps best with audio input). Other machines too: the dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, exercise bike, blender, often running at the same time.

Deafening literally and mentally.

My son was the first to request my shooting ear protectors to wear during the times when his baby sister is screaming. Then he got to wearing them when he wanted to hear himself sing (go figure). Then I swiped them back when I blog so that I can hear myself think (wearing them now).

While I occasionally like the dead silence of the empty house, that silence is overwhelming and oppressively empty.

Instead, the muted noise of family insanity leaking through my $9 hearing protectors let me see and hear the action while letting me see what is going on:

Wife and one daughter baking strawberry pound cakes, son playing rocket ship police with a space ship made from duct tape and spare golf ball tubing, cats trying to decide if we are all insane, and me blogging with my cheap "ears" on.

The Sounds of Silence...

Happy New Year!

No comments: