Saturday, December 23, 2006

Go! Go! Godzilla!

My son was obsessed with trains when he was younger. Obsessed is a light term for it. From the fantastical Diesel 10 of the Thomas the Tank Engine series to the very real bullet trains of Japan, he was a complete train freak. At one point I had concerns he would grow up to be the kind of guy that films cargo trains on the weekends to get his train fix. (My wife told me to just let him be, "He's a boy").

Then I began shooting competition and my son became obsessed with guns. This was a problem until we set strict rules of when he could and could not share his obsession (NEVER AT SCHOOL, etc.). But my wife found it VERY disturbing. She was a real trooper and I did everything I could to assure her that he was not on a track that would end with him dead in Baghdad. (I told her to just let him be, "He's a boy").

But then came Godzilla and saved my ass. I mean that. We were watching Lilo and Stitch when I realized that a reference to Godzilla in it meant nothing to the kids because they had never seen any of the movies. So I showed them Godzilla 1985 as well as Son of Godzilla (the silliest of them), and WHAMO! he has a new obsession! Problem solved...

I swear, watching him set up cities of blocks and cars, just to stomp them down, brings back so many memories. Does my heart good.

And it also really helped my marriage...

No comments: