Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Even Gun Safety can be Trouble

My kids know firearm safety, at least the safety basics for their age level. This is not because they learned it in a class, or at school. Nope, it is because the learned it from me. Could I teach others? Sure, but I wouldn't dare. Why? Because it would mean: A. telling people I own guns (dangerous in certain company) and B. convincing people that exposure to firearms, even just for safety training, will not harm their children mentally or physically.

I find it ironic that we liberals make fun of the "head in the sand" approach of the right wingers when it comes to sex education (i.e. abstinence only programs). We say, "The kids are doing it, there is a unignorable threat, and so we have to give them the tools to get through life safely. Teaching it will not make them do it."

And yet we no longer have basic, communal firearm safety instruction for our kids.

Given that 1 out of 4 homes has at least one firearm on average, and given this is much higher in rural areas, you would think that kids should get some very basic, sobering, and responsible safety instruction. Especially in a society that sadly confuses firearms with toys.

In every experience I have had, exposure leads to respect. Respect leads to responsibilty. Responsibilty lead so safety.

As a member of the NRA, there are options for me to become a certified safety instructor and I have considered them. But even if I went through the certification courses, I would still be in the same catch-22: to name my certification would be to invoke the dreaded NRA and that would possibly even make matters worse.

So, my kids are safe, and I trust them as much as kids can be trusted. My house is also safe (gun locks, safes, and more - oh my!). But sadly, there will be unsafe houses and there will be unprepared kids. And accidents will only add to the visceral rage that many people have towards all firearms and gun owners. And kids will be no safer for it.

When I was in the 6th grade one of my classmates was accidentally killed by her brother who was cleaning a loaded rifle. It was one of the pivotal points in my life and my first introduction to death. The sad reality is that the son was not safe, and as a result his rifle was unsafe. The fact that his sister did not know enough to leave the room when he was being unsafe, maybe not even realizing the danger they were both in, I think attributed to the accident.

He was a minor handling a weapon without the presence of his parents. AND he was cleaning a loaded weapon in violation every safety rule in the book. AND he was surprised by the family dog. AND he dropped a loaded weapon. AND he had a fluke accidental discharge. AND the round hit his sister in the head. AND she was dead.

I cannot help but to think that the situation could have been different. Maybe not. But training could not have hurt either.

No comments: