Friday, January 19, 2007

No More AK: Go AR15!


Well, so much for the AK. I got a call from The Exchange. They said that they had looked at my AK and compared it to all the others there and mine was the best after all. "What can you expect? It's an AK!" they said. They kindly helped me and after much consideration I went with an AR Carbine. And it seems to be a good move.

I picked it up today from my FFL, traded in my AK ammo for some stuff I could actually use, and looked over the new carbine. Let me first note two key things: it is straight, and it is light. The first is no surprise. The second is. I mean, this thing is 2.5 pounds lighter than the AK underfolder. You can feel it. Also, the stock is fully functional in the collapsed stated and is no more troublesome than the collapsed AK. EXCEPT YOU CAN UNFOLD IT WITHOUT USING YOUR RIGHT HAND! Sweet...

Maneuvering in tight quarters looks easy with it, and even thought the barrel is very short on it, accuracy should be better than an AK (we will see).

I do have to note here that I will miss my AK's and am reluctantly "switching teams". I like the AK mechanisms and the sloppiness of function that leads to the superb reliability of the whole system. I also like the larger round. (The latter could be fixed with a larger barrel/upper if I wanted to go to a 6.8mm setup later).

So, frankly, while I have betrayed Team AK and now have an AR, I have been forced to do it due to poor manufacture and limited funds.

No comments: