Sunday, January 07, 2007

Danger vs. Fear: A Parade of Ammo


It is humorous to me when people fear guns by reputation alone. Here is the parade of ammo types that make up my armory. From Left to right, they are the most feared. While in reality, from right to left, they are the most dangerous.

Go Figure.

Which is the dreaded AK? Or the cheap, hidden Saturday Night Special? Or the high capacity, handgun of death? Or the socially acceptable hunting gun? Which has been the focus of the most gun legislation? Which would I least want to get hit by?

Here are the answers:

(A) .32 ACP round from my inexpensive "carry" gun that some call a Saturday Night Special because it retails under $200.
(B) .40 S&W round from my Hi-Cap Taurus pistol that I use for home defense and competition.
(C) 7.62x39 round from my AK47 Underfolder, my Katrina Gun.
(D) .303 British round from my "deer rifle" (sporterized Enfield SMLE III), which can drop a Black Bear not to mention a deer.

Which round is the most dangerous? (D) .303 British. Why? Because no body armor available could stop it and the terminal kinetics it offers are far, far more deadly than the AK's anemic round.

Which round has made the least news? (D) .303 British. Why? Because no one fears a deer rifle, well, except me.

Where am I going with this? Nowhere in particular, except to say that fear does not equal lethality. Also that danger is not the source of fear. Ignorance is.

No comments: