Saturday, March 29, 2008

Acts not Words: Supporting the troops

Thanks to the internet and our amazing post office, it easy to help our troops. This is a great opportunity for many of us who do not have family in the military to help our kids understand what is really going on and what we can do to help.

Recently I met a family whose son is serving in Iraq in a bleak, desolate area of mountainside. The troops are doing well and are strong, but do better when they have our emotional and material support. So instead of thinking about how much they appreciate my philosophical support, I would send them some actual goodies.

I thought I would post a few pics from our first mail out:

Kids wanted to be sure to get stuff for Nick's doggies:



The littlest member of the requisition team got sleepy near the end:



Back at home base for stage 2:



Tools at ready:



Boxing up the supplies:



Getting tired, it is getting late at night:



Letters included:



This was a big deal for the family and especially the kids. My daughter worked hard drawing something in her card that looked like a long squiggly line. I asked her what it was, and she said it was, "A map for them to get home safe."

That comment summed it all up. Thanks again to our troops and the families left behind..

No comments: